25 September 2006

Go Joe!

No really, go. Permanently. I mean, I guess I can sort of respect a guy for sticking it out, even in the face of some very serious allegations of memberhsip fraud. But the point is that Joe Volpe has about as much chance as winning the leadership of the Liberal party as I do (and I refer only to this race, of course, since my chances will keep getting better while his will keep getting worse!). It's an embarrassment, quite frankly, and I don't even really see him playing kingmaker because I don't see his delegates herding sheep-like to whichever campaign he decides to support when he drops out. And frankly his reputation is such that many of the contenders might prefer him not to support them.

So Kudos, Joe, for your sticktuitiveness. Now go!!

4 Comments:

Blogger waterlooboy said...

Respect for "sticking with it?"...you must be on Volpe crack?? What Joe represents is the old fashion sleaze element to politics of a goneby era. This is old school, playing with lists and sleazy donations....but it worked for him for years while a cabinet minister and a sleazy one at that, just look at his outrageous expense accounts bills.....you Liberals are mad to even think that this guy could have been a serious contender....silly, silly people

September 26, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Magrath said...

Ah yes, Waterlooboy, we liberals are totally mad, and yet our collective sense of humour remains intact.

Did you really read that post and not realize that I think he is 'embarrassing,' has no chance of winning, and is so unpopular that other candidates would not even want his support? I did say those things, right??

September 26, 2006  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

At this point, I think he's staying for one key reason: because as long as his center-right supporters stay in his camp, they won't break for Ignatieff, leaving an "anybody but Iggy" candidate enough time to coalesce both before and during the convention. If Volpe leaves, Kennedy, Rae, Dion et al may find themselves on the business end of an Ignatieff freight train.

Needless to say, in terms of pure political calculation, I'm not sure you should be cheering Joe to go just yet.

September 29, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Magrath said...

Demosthenes - good point... I tend more to idealism than to pure political calculation!

September 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home